So, I made a cell with only chloroplasts and vacuoles. I was very dependent on other creatures pushing me in the direction I needed to go. They pushed my plant cell down right next to glucose and ammonia. Then the enormous plant grew. Most of it was my former cells reproducing, and they reproduced a lot. I would've taken a picture of it to send to you guys, but then my game crashed due to too many creatures on screen at once I guess. I want to know if anyone else had interesting stories to tell about their times in cell stage.
It's a bug, and the reason is simple actually: the system that controls compound production uses various thresholds to decide if you have enough of each compound or not. Those numbers don't scale with species size in any way, because we just didn't figure out a reasonable way to make it scale, and didn't want to spend more time working on it when we were getting ready to release. So a big microbe will just stop making stuff eventually even if there's still food coming in, and space for production, because it just doesn't think it has to. It'll be in the next one, promise
I made my cell so big that it couldn't fit in the editor, and it could swallow everything in its path. I put as many vacuoles and mitochondria as I could on it as well... Eventually it crashed my game and I started over ;-;